Navigating the Tech MBA Experience as an International Student

Amanda Hanggoro Amanda is a current Tech MBA student, specializing in Product Management & Strategy. Before coming to Stern, she worked as a Product Manager in an education technology company with a focus on personalization and gamification. Post-MBA, she plans to continue working in product management as she explores her entrepreneurial interest. At Stern, she is involved in the Stern Technology Association, Gaming & eSports Management Society, Asian Business Society, Stern Women in Business, and Stern Football Club.

Moving across continents as an international student in the Tech MBA program is both exciting and intimidating. With a small cohort of only 51 individuals, I am one of two from Southeast Asia, and the only one from Indonesia. But no matter how daunting it is, the close-knit community and friendly environment here have made adapting to this new chapter much smoother, helping me soak up the learning opportunities at Stern.

Just as we got to share a bit of our story through the “Pick Six” essay during the application (which was definitely my favorite!), I would like to share my experience so far as an international student in the Tech MBA program and how I navigate the journey through six images:

Focused (Tech and Fashion & Luxury) MBA Gathering after orientation

Building a support system within the cohort

The warm and welcoming nature of the Tech MBA cohort shone even from day zero. Before summer classes kicked off, my classmates arranged a get-together for those who just arrived in the city. It was a great opportunity for both out-of-state and international students to connect, especially since most of us couldn’t attend the admitted students events. Despite the differing backgrounds and experiences, it was comforting to meet the people that I am sharing this journey with.

The sense of warmth grew over the summer as the Focused MBA students were the only students on campus. From happy hours to picnics, game nights, and spontaneous trips, every gathering helped us bond more. The Tech MBA cohort turned into a little family I could lean on, even as the courses got tougher and our paths diverged in the Fall semester.

Lunch with Indonesian Stern MBA Class of 2024 and 2025

Building connections beyond the Tech MBA cohort

Fall brought along opportunities to mingle with the broader MBA community at Stern. The program’s structure allows me to participate in student clubs and electives that pave the way for making connections with the Two-Year Full-Time MBAs, Langone Part-Time MBAs, and Executive MBAs.

I chose to actively engage in student clubs as an AVP in the Stern Technology Association and Gaming & eSports Management Society and as a member of the Asian Business Society, Stern Women in Business, and Stern Football Club. The unique range of student clubs allows me to balance my personal and professional interests, getting the best of both worlds.

Beyond the student clubs, I also get to connect with other Indonesian students in the Full-Time MBA program. Although the group is fairly small, they have been a great resource for all things from finding good Indonesian restaurants to curing homesickness and answering specific questions about recruiting as an international student

Eid Al-Adha prayer in Washington Square Park with NYU Islamic Center

Accessing NYU’s diverse communities and support

Being at Stern is like having a key to a vast, diverse community. NYU’s larger ecosystem has many international student events, student clubs, collaboration labs, and other supporting facilities. NYU Entrepreneurial Institute (Leslie eLab), for example, allows you to put up posters to seek potential collaborators for your project or join an existing project. Who knows you may stumble upon future co-founders coming from different schools within NYU!

Among the various facilities that NYU has, Global Spiritual Life has accommodated me to practice my faith. The center provides multifaith support through four major religious centers including The Islamic Center, the Catholic Center, the Hindu Center, and the Bronfman Center for Jewish Student Life. As a Muslim, I usually celebrate two major holidays, Eid Al-Fitr and Eid Al-Adha, through communal prayer, family gatherings, and feasts. Despite being thousands of miles away from home, I still got to celebrate Eid Al-Adha during the summer with the NYU Islamic Community and feel the warmth of the holiday.

Impromptu public speaking exercise in Communication class

Getting support from the faculty

Navigating the professional landscape in a second language is a unique challenge that extends beyond language; it also requires cultural understanding and strategic individual approaches. Even though I could connect well with my peers and have worked in a cross-cultural team, mastering communication in a professional context in an entirely new country can take a while to crack.

Other than the career office providing resources for international students, the courses and faculty at Stern have shown a commitment to supporting students through this journey. In my Communication course, Professor Brian Hanssen incorporated many practical exercises in the class ranging from planned group presentations to impromptu personal ones. The constructive feedback from both him and my peers throughout this exercise made a huge difference in boosting my communication confidence.

Beyond that, he also sets aside time for office hours where we could discuss specific challenges we face in our academic or professional journey. This offer is extended even after the course ends and allows me to regularly check in to formulate an actionable plan for my strategic communication.

IBM Watson office in Astor PlaceIBM Watson office in Astor Place

Adapting to a global work setting

What stands out in the Tech MBA program is the hands-on learning experience through the experiential learning courses. New York City Immersion, Tech Solutions, and Endless Frontier Labs not only let us apply what we learned in class but also gave us a unique chance to collaborate with big tech companies and emerging start-ups.

While I had prior experience working with regional teams and international partners, working in a US-based company presented a new set of challenges. Through experiential learning, I gained firsthand experience working within New York City’s diverse community, including my classmates, who brought diverse professional and cultural backgrounds to the table.

Working with IBM in the Tech Solutions course was one of my favorite experiences. Every discussion and checkpoint was a learning curve, not only on the business-technology case we were working with but also on collaborating with diverse stakeholders in technology. 

Whether you plan to work internationally or stay in the United States, these courses provide invaluable insights into real-world applications of business and tech, ensuring your readiness for any professional environment.

Google Trek with Stern Technology Association

Navigating professional career prospects

The post-MBA recruitment process can be intimidating for an international student, but Stern provides essential support through the career office and professional clubs. I get to regularly check in with a career coach specializing in the tech industry for international students and participate in knowledge management events organized by student clubs. The collaboration between the two gives me access to resources for recruitment, workshops, study groups, alumni talks, company presentations, and company treks.

One of the most recent company treks I joined was the Google Trek to its New York City office which was organized by the Stern Technology Association. During the event, we got to talk with current part-time students and alumni working at Google and had an office tour to better understand the company. The diverse speakers with various roles and backgrounds, including international ones, and the intimate setting made the conversations more engaging and tailored to our interests.

Being an international student in the Tech MBA program sure has its challenges but the community really gives me endless opportunities to learn, connect, and thrive. Pursuing this degree has helped me grow so fast in the last six months and I can’t wait to see what the rest of the year has in store for me!