My Journey From Stern Tech MBA to Google

Author: Elizabeth is a recent Tech MBA graduate who specialized in Business Analytics, Tech Product Management, and Strategy. Prior to Stern, she worked at Methods+Mastery as a Business Intelligence Analyst supporting full-scale social intelligence and analytics work streams for Google and YouTube. At Stern, she was a part of several clubs, including the Graduate Marketing Association (GMA), Stern Management & Strategy Club (SMS), Stern Women in Business (SWIB), and Stern Technology Association (STA). Additionally, Elizabeth was a part of the 2023-2024 Makhoul Family Leadership Fellows Program. In her free time, Elizabeth enjoys playing volleyball, collecting rare plants, and spending time with her dog Shelby.

Elizabeth-Davies Headshot

Summer Semester: Setting the Stage

Before the Tech MBA’s summer semester even began, I was already laser-focused on Google. My previous experience working with the Android brand during my time at Methods+Mastery had ignited a spark, and I was determined to turn that spark into a full-fledged career at the tech giant. It was one of the things that I called out in my admission application, so I was determined to make that dream a reality. During the incredibly busy semester and the excitement of starting a new chapter, I made a conscious effort to reach out to the Stern Careers office. I knew their guidance would be invaluable in helping me navigate the competitive tech landscape and position myself for success.

One of the most memorable experiences of that summer was the Tech Immersion visit to the NYC Google office. Stepping into that space, buzzing with energy and innovation, solidified my ambition even further. I could truly see myself working there working on groundbreaking projects. Inspired, I spent the rest of the summer diligently researching potential roles at Google, using the knowledge I’d gained during the summer semester to identify positions that aligned with my skills and aspirations. This list became my roadmap, guiding my networking efforts and helping me connect with NYU alumni who were already thriving in those roles.

Melissa Sherer and Elizabeth Davis at NYC Tech Immersion Google Trek

Fall Semester: Building Connections and Refining My Strategy

The fall semester was all about building relationships and refining my strategy. I had countless coffee chats with individuals at Google, focusing on those who had either attended Stern or NYU more broadly. These conversations were not just about gathering information; they were about forming genuine connections and learning from the experiences of others. I made sure to debrief with the Careers office after each chat, incorporating their feedback into my evolving approach.

I also understood the importance of follow-up. After each coffee chat, I would send a personalized thank-you note, expressing my gratitude for the individual’s time and insights. I wanted to make sure I stayed on their radar and that they knew I was serious about my pursuit of a career at Google. In addition to networking, I made it a priority to stay up-to-date on industry trends and company news. I wanted to be well-informed and demonstrate my genuine interest in the field.

Spring Semester: The Final Push

As spring arrived, so did the in-time hiring season. I dedicated countless hours tailoring my resume for each role that caught my eye, highlighting my relevant skills and experiences. I reconnected with the individuals I’d built relationships with, seeking referrals for open positions that matched my skill set. To showcase my work from the Tech MBA program, I created a portfolio website, carefully curating projects that demonstrated my technical abilities and problem-solving skills.

Preparation was key during this process, so I utilized Exponent, a valuable NYU Stern resource, to practice interview frameworks and hone my technical skills. Weekly mock interviews with my cohort peers provided invaluable feedback and helped me build my confidence. Throughout the entire process, the Careers office remained a constant source of support, offering guidance and answering any questions that arose.

Post-MBA: Reflecting on the Journey

Now that I’m at Google, I can look back on my journey with a sense of gratitude and accomplishment. The Stern Tech MBA program equipped me with the knowledge and skills I needed to succeed, but it was my proactive approach, the relationships I fostered, and my unwavering determination that ultimately opened the door to my dream job.

The Tech MBA taught me far more than just technical skills. It instilled in me the confidence to pursue my ambitions, the importance of networking and building genuine connections, and the value of preparation and hard work. I’m excited to see where my career at Google takes me, and I’m grateful for the experiences and opportunities that led me here.

Elizabeth Davis in front of the Google office on her first day