Connecting School to Current Topics in Media

8074005447_75886977eb_z

As I write to you now, I am nearly 6 months away from a 4 year journey as a Langone Part-time MBA. I just completed my final Fall semester, and I also fulfilled the requirements to obtain a specialization in Finance. Coming from a background in biomedical engineering, I am really proud of all the hard work I have put in to accomplish this feat and also fortunate for the structure of the program where someone like me can take classes in an area that they genuinely want to learn more about.

Further to the above point (and also the start of future blog posts reminiscing about my time at Stern), I have to comment on the relevance of classes to current topics in the media. Specifically, I just finished a Finance class this fall called Global Banking & Capital Markets. Besides the fact that Professor Militello is extremely enthusiastic and vested in each student’s learning, the course covered exactly what I had hoped to learn more about – how the global banking industry and financial markets interact to drive the economy (including regulation, policy, etc.). The first topic we covered – still a bitter memory for many – was the Financial Crisis. Even though we lived through this challenging time, it was so important to take a step back and understand what happened so that we can be educated members of society to avoid future crises. The first assignment required each student to rank the most significant contributors of the financial crisis. Unsurprisingly, every student had a different answer. This observation directly parallels what we are seeing and hearing about the policies from the current Presidential candidates. We are hearing about differing initiatives regarding regulation as well as economic and financial policy – size of banks, healthcare, debt limit, etc. – all things that eventually impact us. What I loved most about this class and its timeliness given the upcoming Presidential election is that we learned about advantages and disadvantages of current and historical policy as well as discussed potential alternatives for how to properly manage risk and create a world where everyone is ‘happy’.

In addition to the above discussion about being educated members of society, a major benefit of being a Stern student is the ability to receive full access to the Financial Times. Since Langone students, including myself, are working full-time as well as going to school part time, it is not always easy to stay current on business, finance, politics, etc. Having easy access to the Financial Times is a game-changer! You can customize e-mail messages or use the app or go to the website to read the articles. For instance, I created alerts where I receive daily messages about US news, Europe news, headlines in healthcare, etc. Living in a world where we do not have enough time in a day to do and learn as much as we want, having a resource like the Financial Times has been amazing. I regret taking advantage of this resource so late, but I am happy that I am not utilizing it to the fullest. I hope that you also have some outlet where you can learn more about topics that interest you!

Wishing everyone has a great holiday and new year! And, thank you for reading my blog!

Lauren Griggs

About Lauren Griggs

Lauren is a Langone Part-time MBA student graduating in May 2016 with specializations in Business Analytics, Finance, and Marketing. Lauren currently works at Becton, Dickinson and Company. She attended Stevens Institute of Technology for her undergraduate education and studied Biomedical Engineering. Lauren's passions include helping people, working hard, and keeping busy! For fun, Lauren likes to spend time with family/friends, run (one marathon is in the books!), read, binge-watch Netflix, and volunteer coach for the Fairleigh Dickinson University Field Hockey team.