The Fall Semester Begins!

So another semester has begun! This year will be especially monumental for me as this is my last year at Stern. I assimilate this year to entering my senior year of college again – except this time I am holding a full-time job as I finish my degree!

This school year started with summer intensives for me. When the summer schedule came out, I saw a few Finance classes that immediately took my interest. In my Stern career, I had always taken summers off, so this was new experience. The first course I took was about Project Finance and Infrastructure Investments. This course gave insight into how large-scale projects become a reality, where the large-scale projects are things such as bridges, toll-roads, wind farms, etc. I got a new perspective for how financing is raised by investors who consider the appropriate risk/return metrics (among other things) for that investment. The class also taught the principles and valuation techniques that one must consider when entering into a project finance or infrastructure investment project.

The second summer intensive was International Investments Analysis. The question that the class answered was: how can I get more returns? This is a fair, realistic question to ask since many of us are investors with ties to mutual funds, hedge funds, bond markets, etc. What I enjoyed most about this class was its relatability to my life. I learned so much in terms of how I want to think about my portfolio to ensure I have the right mix to continue to grow my investments and be sure it will be sufficient well into retirement. Interestingly enough, this intensive afforded me the opportunity to be in NYC on September 11th. Being that I commute to Stern from New Jersey, it is not often that I am in NYC on September 11th. I felt extremely lucky and proud – NYC is such a special place and  there is real feeling of community. I took this picture of the World Trade Center that day on my walk to Stern from the train station.

LG-Freedom-Tower

Fast-forward to today and I am in the midst of the true fall semester. I am a teaching fellow for a core Marketing course with one of my favorite professors at Stern. She motivated me to learn when I was a student of hers, and I feel extremely fortunate that she’s letting me be a part of the experience again (except this time in a different role). In terms of courses, I am taking Global Banking and Capital Markets. It’s only been a couple of weeks but I already know that I enjoy it. The professor is full of energy and passion and brings his experiences to the classroom. When I think of some of the things  I wanted to learn more about during my time at Stern, I am happy to report that this class covers it. We do a deep-dive of the global banking industry – discussing the strategies, risks, opportunities, and regulatory landscape. Already we covered a topic I was eager to learn more about which was the financial crisis of 2007-2008.

All in all, I can confidently say that I have learned a lot – crediting this to the fantastic faculty and the wide selection of electives that are offered throughout the year. Be sure to stay tuned for future posts!

Lauren Griggs

About Lauren Griggs

Lauren is a Langone Part-time MBA student graduating in May 2016 with specializations in Business Analytics, Finance, and Marketing. Lauren currently works at Becton, Dickinson and Company. She attended Stevens Institute of Technology for her undergraduate education and studied Biomedical Engineering. Lauren's passions include helping people, working hard, and keeping busy! For fun, Lauren likes to spend time with family/friends, run (one marathon is in the books!), read, binge-watch Netflix, and volunteer coach for the Fairleigh Dickinson University Field Hockey team.