A Must-Take Class at NYU Stern

Hello blog readers! I hope that you are having a very enjoyable summer! For me, this summer has been a time to try new things, relax, and spend some quality time outdoors. In some respects, I feel like I am an undergraduate student again. My NYU Stern career has consisted of taking the traditional fall and spring classes along with a few winter classes mixed in. I have used the summer as an opportunity refresh and reflect. We all look back fondly to the days of being so excited to finish up spring classes and see what the summer has to offer. This is an experience I get to relive as a graduate student! A very important feature of the Langone Program is the flexibility. You can take classes every semester or you can take classes on a schedule that fits your need (within the 6 year cap).

Given this time to reflect, I would like to take the opportunity to talk a little bit about a class that has had a tremendous impact on my personal and professional life. The class is called Consultative Selling with Professor Krawitz.

To set the framework, I want you to think of a time when you needed to sell something – maybe you needed to sell cookies when you were in Girl Scouts, t-shirts as a fundraiser for your sports team, an old textbook because you knew you were never going to need it again, or an item to a sibling in exchange for something they own. Now think of the outcome of whether you were actually able to sell that item. Could you describe what made you successful (or unsuccessful)?

To give another scenario, have you ever been at a meeting with a potential new client having great conversation but then all of the sudden your audience does not seem engaged or maybe their body language conflicts with their facial expressions. You wonder what may have caused that type of response and then ask yourself the tough question “How do I know what I don’t know?” The Consultative Selling course takes scenarios such as this and goes far beyond the traditional ‘sales’ model. Whether you are in sales as a professional career or not, this class can teach you a lot!

The Consultative Selling course goes into great detail about how to approach the situations similar to the ones described above.  The class includes a number of exercises to learn how to have effective conversations both by listening and by speaking. In the end, the lesson is that it is not about how great you think your product is; it is about the value your client will get from your product.

With that said, I highly recommend the Consultative Selling course. Even further, Professor Krawitz is a dedicated professor and really cares about each student’s learning.

I hope I have left you with something to think about the next time you go to sell something or even the next time you go to buy something. Enjoy the rest of your summer!

Lauren Griggs

About Lauren Griggs

Lauren is a Langone Part-time MBA student graduating in May 2016 with specializations in Business Analytics, Finance, and Marketing. Lauren currently works at Becton, Dickinson and Company. She attended Stevens Institute of Technology for her undergraduate education and studied Biomedical Engineering. Lauren's passions include helping people, working hard, and keeping busy! For fun, Lauren likes to spend time with family/friends, run (one marathon is in the books!), read, binge-watch Netflix, and volunteer coach for the Fairleigh Dickinson University Field Hockey team.