Hello Blog Readers!

Photo Credit: Lauren Griggs

Photo Credit: Lauren Griggs

Welcome to my first blog as a Langone Part-time MBA Student Blogger!

I’m Lauren, a Langone student at NYU Stern. I started my NYU Stern journey in Fall 2012. But, before I jump to how I made one of the best decisions of my life, I’ll tell you a little about me. I am an identical twin. In true twin fashion, my sister and I have done everything together. We both studied engineering at Stevens Institute of Technology and participated in the same activities ranging from collegiate field hockey to honor societies including Order of Omega.

While at Stevens, I studied bio-medical engineering. Ever since I was young, I knew I wanted to help people and that passion has continued ever since. I have worked at Somerset Medical Center and Integra LifeSciences, and I presently work at Becton, Dickinson and Company.

After working in industry for a few years, I was recommended to consider business school by my mentors. At first, it was a daunting thought since calculus, physics, and physiology are not exactly the same as business, economics, and finance (to name a few). But I embraced the guidance of my advisers. I took the GRE and began applying to business schools. In the back of my mind, I knew NYU was where I wanted to be. Not only is NYU associated with an incredible reputation, but it is also where my grandfather went to school. Since he is important to me and is one of the smartest people I know, it meant a lot to me to attend where he went to school.

Fast forward and here I am as an NYU Langone student. NYU offers me the opportunity to grow as a person, leader, and professional. I have been able to take courses in areas that I want to learn more about – which for me tends to revolve around analytics, marketing, and numbers.

As a side note, the timing of this blog is perfect in that I just received my last grades for the Spring semester and I couldn’t be happier. I completed my requirements for my Business Analytics concentration and took an amazing Marketing class in Consultative Selling which has taught me so much (highly recommend taking it with Professor Krawitz).

Balancing work and school and personal time is an art, but the journey is totally worth it. Looking back to the reasons why I started Stern and what I hoped to get out of the experience, my expectations have been met and exceeded. The caliber of the faculty and student body and the quality of the classes are what makes Stern unique. I feel like I have learned so much, and I can’t wait to enjoy another year.

Lauren Griggs

About Lauren Griggs

Lauren is a Langone Part-time MBA student graduating in May 2016 with specializations in Business Analytics, Finance, and Marketing. Lauren currently works at Becton, Dickinson and Company. She attended Stevens Institute of Technology for her undergraduate education and studied Biomedical Engineering. Lauren's passions include helping people, working hard, and keeping busy! For fun, Lauren likes to spend time with family/friends, run (one marathon is in the books!), read, binge-watch Netflix, and volunteer coach for the Fairleigh Dickinson University Field Hockey team.