Access to New York

After graduating from NYU for undergrad, Amy Lore began her career in fashion editorial working at Seventeen, Marie Claire, and ELLE Magazines before becoming the Fashion Editor at Glamour for five years. She then transitioned to lead brand partnerships across retail, DTC, and CPG companies for four years before joining the NYU Stern Fashion & Luxury Class of 2023, where she is Co-Class President and member of the Stern Women in Business and Luxury & Retail clubs. 2022 marks Amy’s tenth year living in New York City! 

As someone who attended NYU for both undergrad and grad school, I will be the first to wax poetic about the incredible access to New York that attending NYU provides. There is no doubt that New York is a hub for almost all industries – but for those interested in fashion, there is truly no better place to be! 

When I was in undergrad, I was able to supplement my studies by gaining invaluable experience interning during my junior and senior years; on days I had class in the morning, I would hop on the R train from 8th Street, hop off on 57th Street, and begin my internship at Hearst in the afternoons. The internships I had and the connections I made while I was an undergrad led to a full-time offer at my dream job just two weeks after graduation. 

Now that I am in grad school for my MBA, the ability to expand my network in-person by attending industry events, meeting for a coffee chat in between classes, and visiting the offices and showrooms of the world’s most esteemed fashion companies has been critical to my experience. Nowadays, we are lucky to have Zoom, but nothing beats being able to shake someone’s hand and create a personal connection. Because of the advantages I gained from living and studying in New York for my undergrad, I only applied to NYU’s Fashion & Luxury MBA program, knowing that for my specific goals, being in New York would be crucial. 

Professional development is just one of the privileges of being in New York – the incredible like-minded and ambitious people I have met outside of my industry constantly inspire me. The energy from being among the best and brightest individuals in the world is unmatched and, I am constantly learning new things and being exposed to new ideas. 

Lastly, there is no argument needed for the culture, social life, and convenience that being in New York brings. I mean, I watched Hamilton on Broadway last week for the third time (yes, I am a Hamilfan). From the unbelievable access to the arts, the world’s best shopping, the nightlife, to Thai food delivery to your couch, New York has so much to offer.